Blog Post 3

To test the hypothesis that the prehistoric record contains evidence of enormous and unexpected leaps forward in science and technology, and these advances are evidence of the introduction of such inventions by extraterrestrial aliens, I would use a deductive approach in my testing. I would use the archaeological material of sites and textual evidence, and analyze them to find any signs of extraterrestrial intervention. I would then look at the accessible technology before and after the artifact was created to see if there was a pre-existing evidence of this technology. If there is not, I would then use this to prove that there had been no evidence of this advancement in technology. The conclusions of these findings would easily be influenced by my intentions of looking at the evidence, and would quickly support my hypothesis. This method of looking at evidence with a specific answer in mind is often used by pseudoarchaeologists to prove their theories of ancient aliens. It can be seen in almost every pseudoarchaeological “theory” that is discussed throughout the community. They have an answer to what the evidence means before even looking at the evidence. 

A  pseudoarchaeological topic that is often discussed by pseudoarchaeologists like Erich Von Daniken is the Nazca Lines of Central America. The lines throughout Central America are constructed to be many different identifiable shapes, whether it be a monkey or a spider, or even just perfect circles and line, that it draws in the attention of many different audiences, each trying to find an explanation. Pseudoarchaeologists believed that because the shapes can only be seen from a higher elevation they were intended to be seen directly above, and because at the time when they were constructed there was no possible way for humans to fly above the lines, they had to be intended for visiting aliens. They believe the lines had to have been made for or by the aliens, and their belief of their explanations is more justifiable than scholars’ explanations. Archaeologists believe that these lines could have been roads for transportation or ritual, or in fact intended to be viewed from a higher elevation like a mountain by the ancient society of the area. Von Daniken  and pseudo archaeologists try to further disprove this by stating that there is no possible way for a primitive society to have constructed such detailed and perfect lines. They perpetuated this idea of primitive societies by not acknowledging the cultural context of the society and any advancements scholars believe the communities have made. The way pseudoarchaeologists “prove” their “theories” is by discounting any intelligence a past society could have, specifically any non-white society, and bend the evidence to prove explanations they have created before looking at the individual evidence. Pseudoarchaeologists will go to great lengths to delegitimize the past cultures who have created the artifacts, and prove their idea that aliens had to have influenced these societies in order for these creations to have been made.

One thought on “Blog Post 3

1. I agree with your point that Pseudoarchaeologist will go to extreme lengths to prove their point is the only correct one. Instead of looking at the possible facts pointing in another direction, they simply focus on their view an there’s only. I also don’t understand why it is so hard for Pseudoarchaeologist to believe that it was possible for early people and cultures to create such enormous designs in the ground. I do think it would take a lot of time and dedication, but it is still possible. If the Nazca had religious reasons behind the designs and pathways shaped, it would give them plenty of drive and motivation to carve them out. Pseudo archeologist also ignore the fact that the Nazca lines could be for agricultural purposes. I agree that there is sufficient evidence of agriculture being a process of change over a long period of time. People started of as hunter gathers and slowly over time developed a more advanced agricultural system. I also strongly agree that most Pseudoarchaeologist cannot accept that a non-white culture could be as advanced. In reality people are people and have enough intellectual abilities to create gigantic artworks or pathways. Another point I related to Pseudoarchaeologist only listening to themselves is the fact they ignore a huge possibility that it could be just because. Maybe the Nazca people created these giant works because they were tradition. Why do graffiti artist make huge artworks on trains or bridges? Pseudoarchaeologist would rather blame aliens then weigh the possibility that Humans just do things for no reason at all sometimes.