Final Project Discussion Post – Olivia Wuench

For my final project, I decided to create an online exhibit introducing users to some of Neuschwanstein Castle’s most significant architectural aspects. This castle is one of Germany’s most traveled to locations because of its unique and fairytale like appearance. I wanted my project to showcase this castle because it is valuable to German heritage as it is one of the most iconic architectural structures in the country.

On the website, users can navigate through various tabs to view images and brief descriptions of each featured piece of architecture. I chose to provide an explanation of the major influences of the architectural style and location. I also wanted to highlight one of the most significant frescoes on the exterior of the castle, as well as the paintings located in the throne room and the dressing room inside. Lastly, I wanted to have a section for towers and turrets as they are some of the most recognizable features about Neuschwanstein. Below are some of the images I included on my website to showcase the castle’s unique architecture, and the sources they are from.

Above: https://www.masterclass.com/articles/neuschwanstein-castle-guide

Right: https://www.bega.com/en/references/neuschwanstein-castle-schwangau/

Users can view images based on collection where they are organized into ‘Overall Exterior’, ‘Frescoes & Murals’, and ‘Towers & Turrets’, or they can visit the ‘Architectural Exhibit’ tab to view the images in a gallery format. Essentially, my project is an online exhibit formatted like a website so that users can learn a little bit about some of the architectural elements featured on Neuschwanstein Castle. They can also use the site to find other resources to learn even more about the castle if they choose to, and the link to the sources used is provided both on the item page and in the ‘External Sources’ tab.

The website was built using the Exhibit builder program from Omeka.net. I wanted to make it easy for anyone to navigate, which is why there are several ways to get to each featured item. To gather information about the architecture I wanted to showcase on my website, I found sources that had reliable information about the castle’s architecture and images that clearly showed what I was referring to. I created the project for anyone to be able to use it as a stepping stone to more platforms for more information. If an image was sourced from a site that was not specific to Neuschwanstein Castle, I included a mention of who took the image on the item page.

The intention behind my online exhibit is to provide users with exposure to a few of the architectural aspects of Neuschwanstein Castle that contribute to its unique appearance. Hopefully, the site encourages users to learn more or even visit the castle in person if they can. Since the site is online and accessible to anyone with internet, it provides a platform for people to learn more without having to travel in person if that is not an option for them. My website also mentions the several renovations the castle has undergone to hopefully encourage people who do visit to be mindful. Having respectful visitors does contribute to preservation, which is as important as learning about the architecture and history of the castle.

Here is the link to my website!

https://neuschwansteinarchitecture.omeka.net