Blog Post 2 – Theories of State Formation

In Theories of State Formation, E. Christiana Köhler discusses the misconceptions around state formation in Ancient Egypt and examines the complexity and multitude of influences that led to the eventual “unification of Egypt”. In addition to this examination, she interjects throughout how the complexity and sheer number of influential factors to total unification is often underplayed, even by Egyptologists and archaeologists, who oversimplify the means by which the unification of upper and lower Egypt was achieved, often to just one or a couple of specific events or people. I found this point particularly interesting in connection with the reading Egypt in the Memory of the World that I discussed in the previous blog post, in which the author discusses how the misconceptions or oversimplifications by archaeologists and Egyptologists has contributed to a more widespread misconception and simplification of Egyptian culture as a whole.

Unlike many other historically based accounts on the unification/formation of the state of Egypt that I have seen, the author begins by discussing the influences and state formation processes that were beginning to take place in the Predynastic. One site discussed often throughout the article is the site of Maadi in which there is some of the first evidence for craft specialization and a broad expanse of trade networks, a major indicator for the formation of a more state-like society, throughout Egypt and potentially into Western Asia. It is also possible to see how these trade routes and networks changed as a more powerful group of elite gained control over the flow of goods and to, in theory, allow for a more expansive trade network to trade for rare and locally unavailable goods such as cedar.

Examining trade networks and their change throughout time seems to be an effective way to study state formation in ancient Egypt. As can be seen above, in simply discussing the basic aspects of trade change over time one has to interconnect the influences of trade, specialized craft, social hierarchy and stratification, bureaucracy, and even centralization and urbanization. From a more in depth examination into these changes, one could also eventually see how the elite and bureaucracy of the polities of Egypt would eventually aid in the formation of the unified state and an overarching kingship and state ideology. Considering all of these factors is essential to achieving a more comprehensive understanding of the unification of Egypt from its roots of hunter gatherer bands, to polities, and then, eventually, to a unified state.

3 thoughts on “Blog Post 2 – Theories of State Formation

1. In my blog post I relatively discussed the same things as you mentioned above. Instead of looking at the overall themes and connections as you did, I focused more on the specific factors Köhler mentioned in her text. These factors were, as you mentioned above,: “specialized craft production and political economy, long-distance trade, social complexity, bureaucracy and centralization, as well as a well-defined state ideology” (Köhler, p. 38). I discussed some of these factors: specialized craft production and political economy, long-distance trade, and social complexity in my post and highlighted why they were important in showing the emergence of Egypt as a state. I think that it is crucial to look at all aspects and evidence of the evolution of early civilizations so that we may get the full picture of the culture there as a whole. Many of us are so romanticized with the Egypt we see in Hollywood today that we fail to delve deeper into Egypt’s past to uncover the origins and growth of one of the greatest and most well-known civilizations. Like you discussed above, I also talked about trade in my blog post and how it increased the economic viability of that time. Trade in the archaeological record is crucial because it shows not only the increasing communication between peoples in different states, but also the development of a new way of thinking. Instead of just focusing on their specific area and the resources native to that area, the ancient Egyptians realized the importance of other resources and developed a more complex economic system that led to the formation of a larger state. Without this new way of thinking, Egypt would not have evolved to the prominent civilization it was and still is today. This can be seen not only in Egypt but in the other multiple influential civilizations all over the world. Without delving deep into the archaeological record and looking past the stereotypes and common assumptions made about those societies, we would never truly understand and know the evolution of society as a whole.

2. I also did a similar discussion post explaining how Köhler explains the complexity of the influential factors that plays a role leading to the unification of Egypt. I agree and also found it vey interesting that the point of how archaeologists tend to oversimplify on how the unification of Egypt came to be. History is a puzzle with numerous amount of missing pieces. I can understand the importance of how trade networks plays a dynamic role in uncovering the missing pieces of gathering data in order to see the potentials of how Ancient Egypt formed.

3. I liked reading your blog post! I too think all of the misconceptions that are brought up when discussing Ancient Egypt are interesting as well as how they came to be. For my Blog post I wrote on the same text that you did and man of the same things you wrote about I remember from reading I liked how you mentioned how the author started by writing about Egypt in the predynasty. That to me was the most interesting part of the read. I think this early craft specialization and trade routes are often over simplified or not thought of as important as they were in the creation of Egypt as a unified state. The knives were something that stood out to me but I like that you also mentioned cedar because that was a product I had not remembered from the reading. The trade of early egypt is something that should be focused on because, as you mentioned, the powerful elites gained control which helped pave the way for more social stratification. The little changes in trade were important and I think there is still much to be learned in terms of how everything came to be to create a unified state.