Blog 4: Chapter 9

This week we were able to read chapter nine titled “The Third Intermediate Period and Late Period” from the textbook An Introduction to the Archaeology of Ancient Egypt by Kathryn A. Bard. In this chapter it touches on the Third Intermediate Period and Late Period as the chapter title states. I found this chapter to be very interesting. The section that I found most interesting was the section titled “Saqqara: The Serapeum and Animal Cults”. The section opens up talking about the animal bull. The author states how the bull was symbolically associated with the Egyptian King from early times and represented different cults. There were burials of bulls found at Saqqara date to the later 18th dynasty, which was during the reign of Amenhotep Ⅲ. Located near the northwest of djoser’s Step Pyramid, was the Serapeum. The Serapeum is where the Apis bulls burial is. ”About 450 meters to the northeast of the Serapeum Walter Emery found underground galleries with the burials of mummified ibises while excavating much earlier tombs in north Saqqara in 1964. To the north of this are galleries for burials of the Isis cows (mothers of the Apis bulls), and there are also subterranean galleries with mummified baboons, falcons, and more ibises.” (Byrd, 304) There were also other animals discussed throughout this section. I found this section interesting because we get to read about animal burials and mummification, which we don’t hear about often. Today, animals play a huge role in humans life. It is not common to mummify animals such as cats or dogs. Larger animals such as cattle and pigs are used for other purposes such as food. People may choose to have burials for their beloved pets, but that is the most that happens. This shows to me that humans has always been connected to different animals. Also in this section, it talks about the reasons why these animals were mummified. There is evidence that shows rituals were performed while mummifying these animals. “The pilgrims left the mummified animals (both real and faked) as offerings to these cults, which may have been associated with the osirian cycle of life, death, and rebirth, and associated concepts of fertility and procreation. But cemeteries of mummified animals are known throughout Egypt from late dynastic times onward” (Byrd, 305-306) I pulled this quote because it touches on the cults and their rituals. Byrd believes that represented the cycle of life and death. I think this is so interesting and have many questions about the processes of the mummification the animals. Also, why did they choose the animals that they choose to mummify and etc. Did all the animals have a connection to the Egyptians, like the bull had with Egyptian kings?

One thought on “Blog 4: Chapter 9

1. I think the usage of different animals in mortuary practices by ancient Egyptians is a very interesting topic. I thought it was interesting that you compared this practice with what we do today and how our views of animals has changed over time. It used to be extremely common for people to be buried with specific animals related to a deity and for the animal to also be mummified along with the person. While we don’t see this anymore, if we do it is very rare, there are instances where people will bury or cremate their pets and, in some cases, might even bury them next to their own graves. I never thought about this comparison and thought that it was interesting that humans’ associations with animals has remained strong even by today’s society. What is different is that I do not think that animals are used in religion or cult rituals anymore, or at least not nearly as often as we used to. I think the religious connection with animals has changed, but animals are still important to us in different ways. It is more due to a bond with a specific animal rather than a religious connection or a wanting to be close to a specific God or Goddess that an animal is associated with. I have always wondered why certain animals became related to religion and how many animals were killed and sacrificed by ancient people and what this really meant to them. I think it is a very interesting area of ancient Egyptian religion and culture.