bonus blog

Over the course of the semester, we have learned about a lot of artifacts, sites, and other Egyptian and Nubian items.  However, there is one item that we recently learned about that I think is one of the most interesting things, if not the most interesting thing, that was brought up in the class.  That is the Harris Papyrus from the end of the New Kingdom.  I am a political science major, and my minor is in anthropology, so I am especially interested in anything political related.  This is especially true when it comes to conspiracies and assassination attempts, and so the Harris Papyrus has it all.

The Harris Papyrus, as described in class, is a legal papyrus.  It described a Harem conspiracy to kill Ramses III.  There were royal factions that viewed for power with the pharaohs, and there was a non-royal faction that was supported by a Nubian military commander.  I looked into this Harem Conspiracy more, and it is actually very interesting.  Ramses III was, obviously, the pharaoh, and he had been ruler for 32 years.  He had gone to Thebes in order to celebrate the festival called the Heb-Sed.  That is when the king rules for thirty years, and then every three years afterward it is celebrated again.

While in Thebes in early April 1155 BC, Ramses III was hanging out in the harem like usual when the assassination occurred.  Queen Tiye, one of his wives, wanted Pentawere, who was her son, to become the ruler instead of Ramses IV.  Because of this, she had to kill both Ramses III and Ramses IV in order for Pentawere to become the ruler of Egypt.  She enlisted various officials that were in the administration and servants to deliver messages outside of the harem.  Many of the officials were also convinced to help with the conspiracy.  Pantry chief Pebekkamen became Tiye’s ally and moved the information around as well, getting help from a butler, a cattle overseer, and two administrators.  Since the harem had restricted access, he sought out the overseer of the King’s treasury so he could gain access.

They thought that black magic would help them deceive the guards who were at the harem and they would let the messages be delivered.  The spells were used to make Ramses III an easier target, so they had the court magician and the personal physician conjure up the magic.  When they were assassinating him, there were numerous spells and incantations performed.  Originally thought to have been killed by poison, a CAT scan revealed that he actually died because his throat was cut.  Ramses IV took control very soon after the assassination since the conspirators could not gain the support they thought they could to get him out.  Pentawere, apparently, either killed himself afterwards or was executed.  He was also buried in a ritually impure goatskin, according to his Wikipedia page.

Overall, the Harris Papyrus was incredibly fascinating for me to learn about both in and out of class.