Bonus Blog: King Tut

Similarly, to one of my classmates, I have and will always have a high interest in the tomb of the pharaoh Tutankhamun. King Tut’s reign did not last very long because of the issues he had to deal with, but he somehow became the king that would be remembered for centuries.

As a kid, I remember learning a lot about King Tut, but at the time, there wasn’t any accurate depiction on how King Tut was supposed to look. Most pictures or conversations said he looked like any regular guy. However, once information about him being a child of incestuous parents, more and more discoveries about how he looked started to come out. The guy has some really major issues due to the fact that incest ran in the family. After archaeologists uncovered the truth about King Tut’s health, there was information about his genetic disorders and disabilities. He was a frail pharaoh with sicknesses like malaria and a bone disorder. He had a bit of a club foot and needed a cane to walk. He was not going to do the regular things a normal pharaoh would do. Inbreeding was an issues during these times. King Tut was also found to have malaria, which is proof on how long this disease has been around for. The sickness could have caused the deformities on his foot and ultimately, killing him. Yet, we still don’t know. Researching more on the subject, it is interesting to see all the different guesses on how King Tut actually really died.

I believe with all this information, it can help us get a better idea of what types of sicknesses existed during this time. Going to back to the malaria, it’s insane to believe that we have a sickness like that that exists today! It’s like a little bit of history keeps following us into the future.

There has been speculation if the tomb was ever robbed and in fact, it was. This tomb, like any other tomb found, help understand a bit more of their religion with ancient Egyptians and the belief of the afterlife. I think it’s beautiful of the idea of being buried with things to be taken into the afterlife. It is like saying that it is isn’t the end, but just the start of a new beginning.

Overall, it was a very interesting class and I learned more on the great topic of ancient Egypt.