Week 1

This website published by Yale University, specifically focuses on evolutionary biology, which can represent a subfield of biological anthropology. In this particular lab, it focuses on ecology which ties into the evolutionary processes of biology, and having a prospective of anthropology as well. For over 20 years, the lab has focused on key factors that make up the history of life that include “reproduction, growth, aging, and immune function” (yale.edu). I think this is really interesting subfield of anthropology because anthropology seems to focus on the history of life and physical features of humans, but evolutionary biology ties into history and science to conclude how humans are today from what they were in the past.

A few studies that the lab is focusing on is hormones in reproduction and hormones in homosexual fathers. In addition, there are chimpanzee projects and a study on the history of owl monkeys. While not just thinking of biology in humans, this lab takes into this subfield of anthropology into depth exploring other organisms that can connect to human’s evolutionary biology and processes. This history of humans can be explored in other ways such as hormonal studies or compared to distant relatives of humans where anthropology truly tries to focus on the behavioral aspects of humans and it makes sense the studies that are interesting to focus on. We know our hormones can change affect us tremendously in what our body decides to function and in how we feel physically and mentally.

From this, I believe it is interesting to see that there are actually two separate studies in this lab focusing on hormones. One on gay fathers and fatherhood and the other on possible reproduction deficiencies in the growth hormones.

Evolutionary biology also considers relatives of humans and compare their DNA and history to those closely related organisms, such as other primates. From here, this can give anthropology a biological perspective with history on evolutionary process that helps conclude physical anthropology of human life. The studies within this lab definitely contribute to future findings and new information on physical anthropology.

Out of the current studies, I think that the study on hormones on fatherhood of gay parents is the most interesting. The focus and purpose was to see whether or not non-maternal parenting has an effect in mammals. This is interesting to have a comparison because mothers are expected to care for their offspring in humans and also in other mammals.

This creates an exception in human beings, and taking this into account a non-traditional upbringing, could bring different ideas to what is necessary in care. Furthermore, in this study, they know that when mothers have extra help in caretaking, the development and social behavior can change life history in their young. The study focuses on “evolutionary barriers” in mammals that follow these exceptions. The study continues to say the focus on what the current understanding of upbringing in mammals is now but then argues for those exceptions such as fatherhood in gay parents that could have an effect or not.

Website: https://reproeco.yale.edu/

Published study: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0031938417304547

4 thoughts on “Week 1

1. I think the most interesting thing about evolutionary anthropology would be parenthood. I think studying hormones and gay parentage is really fascinating and something that I hadn’t given much thought to. It reminded me of studies that try to find the so-called “gay gene” that seeks to understand if sexual orientation has to do with genetics. I didn’t think about how anthropologically parenthood could be affected over time due to changes in parenting styles. Studying parenthood as humans evolved is probably useful when studying how things change an offspring’s coping methods and functionality as an adult. It would be easy to mesh evolutionary anthropology with cultural anthropology with a focus on parenthood. I’m sure there’s been a lot of studies into the nature vs. nurture argument. In Yale’s study I also think it’s interesting that they compared other mammals in the study for comparison.

2. Hi Andrea!
    I think this particular subfield on anthropology is very interesting! Like you said, anthropology itself focuses on the history of life and how humans have adapted and / or changed because of various factors in their environment. Looking at research and studying of hormones can be extremely beneficial when looking at humans due to the impact hormones have on people. And in this case they even took it into a lab looking at animals and other organisms that can connect to human biology. Taking into account the maternal parenting aspects and applying it to gay parenting would be an approach I would have never looked at to see how it affects evolutionary anthropology. Having gay parents would be considered a non-traditional upbringing and it would have affect on the child whether we like to think it will or not. It’s almost like being raised in another culture almost, American way of childhood differs completely from a child growing up in Africa, or even Europe. I am truly interested to look into this study and see if there was any positive or negative feedback brought up in the research in regards to hormones of gay parents. Hormones that take place in reproductive must differ / be absent in gay parents who adopt and I would be interested to see if this shows any effect on biological evolution from an anthropological aspect.

3. Hi Andrea!
    I really enjoyed your explanation of this lab at Yale University. I thought your post was very unique compared to mine and others since you looked at a lab rather than a specific society. It is very cool that this lab has been studying biological anthropology for 20 years. I think it important to study different hormones to learn more about our bodies. I really like the way this lab goes in depth into different hormones from parents with different sexual orientation. I think it is important to show society how hormones work in everyones body differently. I believe it is also important for us to know these “evolutionary barriers” so we know how to help the children of the future to develop to their full potential no matter what gender their parents are.

4. Hello!
    From what you said and some of the other comments from students, I find the most interesting aspect of anthropology is the history of life and all of the factors that contribute to the changes of human life with environment. I loved the website you researched and talked about because of how it focused on the reproduction for homosexual fathers and I have never learned or really came across a study like this. Conducting labs like this I think is super important because studying the genetics of hormones and applying different sex couples or same couples helps us determine more information for the future and offspring and can lead to avoid certain things. I liked how this study compared it with mammals and really focused on based off the offspring genetics how the up-bringing and evnviorment would really affect it.