Blog Week 1

I first chose to look up forensic anthropology because I think its fascinating to use methods that study human bones, finger prints, blood, DNA and genetics to conclude and link many unanswered questions. I came across The University of Tennessees’ forensic anthropology center (FAC) page from the college arts and sciences. FAC has a huge body donation program (over 100 bodies a year) to promote research on body decomposition and modern human variation. FAC offers many collections and resources for decomposition facilities for students, facility and law enforcements. There is the body farm which is an outdoor field laboratory that enables the investigation of parameters which are crucial in time since death estimates.There is the William M. Bass Donated skeletal collection that ranges from 1-101 year old bodies that also include dental records, blood, hair and fingernails. Next there is the William M. Bass Forensic Skeletal Collection, which is composed of individuals with some sort of trauma such as gunshot wounds, stabbings, etc. Next, the Forensic Anthropology Data Bank. This is the most detailed collection because it includes the individuals birth place, medical history, occupation, stature and weight. Knowing the more information while researching really is beneficial to link this with molecular anthropology as well. Then there is the McCormick Collection which includes skeletal elements from more than 900 individuals with their known demographic background.

These collections all are crucial from forensic anthropologist. They need be able to analyze these bones and skeletal remains to conclude a biological profile. All the subfields I have learned really connect with each other and all are part of the story and crucial for the understadning of the before and why it evolved, and how to maintain it at a level we want, or how to avoid certain things in genetic or molecular anthropology using forensics.

One thought on “Blog Week 1

1. Hello Pagona, I really enjoyed reading your post and feel that you made many great points. I think forensic anthropology seems really interesting. I didn’t really know what a body farm was. I didn’t realize that there were outdoor field laboratories that enable investigations to learn about the time of death for an individual. I feel that it is especially crucial for individuals in forensics to analyze the bones and remains of people. This may help us learn how it evolved. I haven’t really thought of anthropology and forensics connecting but after reading your post I realized how much they actually do connect and how much it has evolved now due to new technological advances that we have today. I also agree that the more information you know the better idea you have with the molecular anthropology.