Blog 2

I am pursuing my Bachelor of Science in psychology, so many of the things we have talked about thus far are things that classes I have taken in the past have touched on. I had never thought about this information from an evolutionary perspective, however, and I hadn’t thought about the connection between my different courses in this way. Although we are only in our second week of the course it has become very apparent to me that evolution and anthropology is linked to just about everything. In my courses I spend a lot of time learning about the brain, human behavior, and how both biological and environmental factors affect those things. Anthropology seems to be the link between not only human behavior and history, but genetics, health, culture, and more. Human variability has been a topic that I have learned much about in my psychology courses and it is very interesting to look at it from this evolutionary perspective. It gives me a better understanding of the information I have learned from psychology. I initially thought that this class would have very little to do with my major and what I am learning, so seeing that connection is very cool!

The article says, “Evolution is therefore a unifying theme among many sciences, providing students with a framework by which to understand the natural world from many perspectives.” I fully agree with this statement and believe that it goes even beyond sciences. The article also says, “it also permeates other disciplines such as philosophy, psychology, literature, and the arts.” It reaches far and wide to many disciplines and is an important thing for students to learn in order to understand history, humans, and science. Making the connections between these subjects is exciting and makes learning the information much easier when you can apply it to your own understanding. Evolution seems to be what ties many different disciplines together, so in order to understand the different disciplines, you must first understand evolution. Evolution has the ability to unify these things.

As I mentioned, the information I have learned has given me a better understanding of the information from my previous classes. I was given information from the lectures that I had recently learned in biology but had never thought about that from an evolution stand point, but rather just a science class I had to take. It has given me a greater understanding of the connection between biological and environmental factors that I have studied in psychology and how human beings vary, specifically to their location. I thought it was very interesting to have the opportunity to take what I learned in biology and apply it to psychology in a way with evolution as my link. During my biology course I had never thought that it was information I would be able to connect in this sort of way with my discipline. Making these connections makes me very excited to learn more about anthropology and to give me a new perspective on my knowledge in psychology.

2 thoughts on “Blog 2

1. I am a psychology major too! I found your post to be fairly insightful, and I definitely agree that the concepts in this class connect to several different courses and topics. I also found it interesting that similar to psychology, anthropology also observes the brain, human behavior, and how biological and environmental factors interconnect. I also found your perspective on human variability to be interesting and relevant to the material that we have learned in this class. I definitely think agree with the statements made in the article that knowing these other factors and disciplines are crucial to better understanding evolution and human behaviors overtime. I think it’s cool that our field relates to this course, and I look forward to learning more in the next few weeks!

2. Im a anthropology major and its cool that i think the same way. Psychology classes as well as this class gives great concepts about different courses and topics that are very helpful and understanding. Anthropology seems to be the link between not only human behavior and history, but genetics, health, culture, and more. An that all reverts back to the term evolution. The term about the how evolution is a unifying theme among many sciences which provides students with a framework to understand the natural world from many perspectives. I agrees with you that it goes even beyond sciences, but its a lot of conspiracy theories that make you question a lot about whats really true or false.