Accounting’s Contribution to Evolution of Human Civilization

Since my declared major is not a STEM major, I am assuming my blog post this week might be extremely different than the rest. While many other majors can connect their learnings in class to evolution through DNA, in my accounting class, we went over the history and importance of accounting. I believe that there is still something to offer here on this topic through connecting accounting and evolution, although it may not be at the cellular level. The invention of double entry accounting which is widely taught still today was accredited to Luca Pacioli. He was a monk born in the 1400’s. This accounting system allowed for not necessarily the evolution of human DNA but allowed for humans to trade at a much more efficient rate by keeping track of more of their trade. This brought forth an economic boom in major powers such as the Venetians, allowing for larger populations to grow within cities. Without the invention of double entry accounting it would’ve meant the fall of many great empires past the 1400’s as keeping track of huge civilizations is an amazing feat. I feel as though I can connect the topic of evolution through the growth of efficiency in empires and global powers allowing for human population growth around the world. Naturally learning about the history of accounting wouldn’t trigger me to think about how it applied towards the evolution of humans, but through this class it gave me an opportunity to reflect on readings and lectures so far to apply to what I’ve learned already in business classes. If there are other non-STEM majors in this class, I would love to hear your thoughts on how your major understands evolution and human variability.

After the readings and videos, I feel much more educated on the topic of evolution. In middle school science classes, we learned about Darwin’s Theory of Evolution. And I am glad we did as learning about the science behind evolution and the theory of it seems extremely important after reading “Defending Evolution in the Classroom”. Since then I have yet to come across this topic till now in my senior year of College. So, when learning about DNA and how it variates from our lectures, I now know a little more of how humans’ genes have evolved. I find it amazing that science has come so far to the point where we can analyze DNA samples and decipher the movement of our ancestors. After watching the “PBS Nova – Epigenetics” video, it was extremely interesting how they slowly broke down the genetic code of humans to all other species. Also, after watching the National Geographic video on “What Genetic Thread Do These Six Strangers Have in Common?”, I found it interesting how all six of those strangers didn’t necessarily look the same but contained the same DNA. The quote at the end really spoke out to me when it came up and wrote “Science defines you by your DNA. Society defines you by the color of your skin”.