Blog 2

Thought of my major which is Economic Geography would have not many things in common with study of human evolution. Economic Geography is a social science study of the geographical distribution pattern of market. The goal is to analyze the world market and improve the most efficiency in the market using the spatial science. Even though my major is not very related to the evolution, I did have basic knowledge of evolution from middle school high school such as Darwin Theory that explains human is result of animal evolution. However, I was able to remind what I had learned though many geography courses especially that focused on particular areas. In the courses, in the study of geography, we first determine element geographical factors such as race, population, language, and etc. And we study the origin of the people and history of certain state or area. Specifically, we distinguished different races and origin and how a evolution could be engaged with this in terms of both natural and biological anthropological factors in Asia where various races and cultures exist. Of course, it was probably a glimpse of study of evolution but the study takes a significant portion of foundation factor of a geographical area which explains many things. Geographer would take a close look into the climates, environments, and people to study the people in the area up to their origin to categorize. 

In Alters and alters reading, the author discusses that “evolution is the basic context of all the biological sciences.Take away this context, and all that is left is disparate facts without the thread that ties them all together.” I agree to that because I believe that science is a creation of human and human evolution science is foundation of all biological science. 

I was interested in the study of evolution after reading and watching this week’s video. PBS-Nova Epigenetics video was very interesting to me that showed the progress of genetic code break down of humans to other creatures. It was also interesting to me when they showed it is not necessarily that people would look same with same DNA ancestry among sample of 6 people in the “What Genetic Thread do These Six Strangers Have in Common?” video by National Geographics. Moreover, the Richard III – The DNA Analysis & Conclusion video discussed the scientific progress of genealogical analysis in the King Richard III case. They used the hair and eye color of Richard III to the identity of Skeleton 1 from the Greyfriars in Leicester. 

I am not really sure this week’s study made me think about my field in a different light. I see there is a evident connection between study of evolution and geography, but I think there would be specific subfield under geography. Unfortunately, my major probably has least relation with it.

4 thoughts on “Blog 2

1. Hey, great blog! I was drawn to your blog because I can relate to it in a way. My major, Urban & Regional Planning, is also a social science major and, in my current opinion, it is also not related to evolution or human variability in totality. I was also drawn to your blog because you mentioned that your major is Economic Geography. In my major, we have to take 15 credits worth of natural science courses to complete our natural science requirement and one of the courses I took was Intro to Meteorology, GEO 203 I think it was. With that being said, I just think that it’s kind of interesting how we can take some of these courses, including ANP 206, that obviously intertwine with one another in some way and help us meet requirements for our majors, yet we can’t place a pinpoint on how they specifically correlate with one another.

2. Hello! I relate to your blog a lot because I also have a major that if very different from this class. Although your major is very separate, you made great points in connecting Economic Geography with ideas such as evolution. You mentioned that you study races, languages, etc. and your blog helped me realize just how much those factors are affected by evolution and DNA. I agree with your points about Alters and Alters article where they mention that evolution provides a basic knowledge for every field. It is almost shocking how such a science-based topic incorporates with completely different ideas. Humans interact and affect almost any subject you could imagine and your take on how they influence the study of geography was so interesting!

3. As someone who is also majoring in a topic that isn’t directly related to the traditional scientific concept of evolution, I think you managed to find a good way to connect your major with the topic. Understanding how people evolve/d is almost synonymous with understanding how people think. That, I believe, is a key factor that plays into life as a whole, and isn’t limited to particular fields of study. Of course, as the beginning of the course suggested, Anthropology is the study of US. Therefore, the topics of discussion in this course are all going to find a way to relate to various fields of study. Despite this however, I can still see that it can be quite difficult to find relations between the two fields when the correlations might not be as prevalent or obvious. With that in mind, I think you managed to create a fairly good blog post.

4. I have never even heard of the major Economic Geography. It makes sense when you explain it that it would be a subfields, I had just never thought of it before. Going from the name alone though, my first thought was that anthropology does a lot involving populations traveling which I would imagine contributes to your field. I think you are correct in saying your specific focus probably has less to do with it than other geography subfields.
    You use the word “foundation” several times throughout your blog and I think that is an accurate description. Evolution is a building block(or foundation) for many different fields, not just science. This week’s information showed us that it can relate to a lot of things. Especially things we wouldn’t consider at all normally.