Blog Post 3

After reading the AAPA article, I was interested how they described their understanding of the structure of human variation from a biological perspective scientifically, not as majority of people understand race as visual or physical difference that is socially constructed. Their perspective explains how race is a social construct only to cover racism and racists.  One part that I was interested most was a part ot the position 7. It explained that mating between members of different human groups tends to diminish differences between groups, and has played a very important role in human history. It also said that “the global process of urbanization, coupled with intercontinental migrations, has the potential to reduce the differences among all human populations.” This really reflect my experience as my observation of the Seoul city that is my hometown. Korean traditionally have been pursued the value of being a single trait for a long time conservatively. We were taught that we should feel proud of ourselves that we kept this single trait for a long time traditionally. However, globalization of urbanization had changed a lot even in Korea today. It is common to see international couple together out on the street theses days, and I assume there are a lot of intercontinental immigrants in Korea for their interest for Korean culture. This was not even close to common few years ago. This is pretty recent phenomenon. I also nodded again when it explained that that the people of the world today appear to possess equal biological potential for assimilating any human culture. I think this is pretty bold concept of the biological perspective of race of theirs.

I also found the similar point in the AAA reading that all people do not have any biological differences but there is only phenotypic difference. AAA reading explained that hair type or specific facial structure may be are associated with environmental effects like climates or sun exposure etc. I had heard about the concept of idea, but I had never looked at the concept closely and read about it. I do agree to the idea because there are people who have differed skin color in same race. In my observation, people who fish or farm or whoever work outside for long time tend to have darker color than others in city. I believe that their skins were not dark as it is now looking at their pictures of younger age, and so there is a clear influence of environment. Both articles were pretty interesting and surprising sometimes because it was pretty new concept to me.

To explain about the non-existence of biological perspective of race to someone who does is not familiar with the topic, I would talk about the non existence of a gene that specify the “race”. People are diverse and have been influenced by many things beside biological reason. For example, skin color could be different because of climate difference among continents, and body size could be differed because of environments, not because of genes.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post 3

1. When I was doing the reading I kind of just glanced over the part about humans and interracial relationships, but after your post I thought about it more. It should be obvious that people having children together would “reduce the differences among all human populations” but for some reason I never thought about it in any detail. Also, my sister and I visited Seoul twice, and even as tourists who didn’t spend much time there, we noticed the increased globalization. The first time we went we saw very few European tourists but the second time there were many more.
    There must not be many places that are completely without influence from globalization. I wonder how long it will be until the whole world is connected.

2. Hello, I appreciate your thoughts!
    I find it interesting how certain cultures have in the past opposed marriage with people from different races. One of my friends, whose grandparents are from China, said the other day that there many people in China who talk about being of “pure” ancestry, or being 100% Chinese, but my friend said that hardly anyone really is. While it may have been considered normal to hold these views a few generations ago, I do not think many people in our generation accept this as okay.