Blog 4

In the article on chimpanzees, Wayman talks about the prevalence of violence in chimpanzees and spider monkeys. In the first part of the article, Wayman talks about the natural tendency of chimpanzees to kill just as the saying goes, “Violence is just part of human nature, stamped in our DNA.” This is based on the belief that the natural tendency to kill comes from the common ancestor 7 billion years ago. Wayman uses the example of Gombe Stream National Park, where a chimpanzee group was divided into northern and southern parts and the northern chimpanzees took over the southern part and killed all the adult males. I found this very surprising. However, it makes a lot of sense. It can be related to Holocaust. Before the time of Hitler, Jews and other people in Germany lived together peacefully. When Hitler came to power, a lot of people turned against the Jews, and Jews were killed on a massive scale. Something happened with the national park chimpanzee group as well and they turned against each other. A lot of people blindly followed Hitler into violence. Based on the experiments conducted later, it was shown that Nazi officers performed violent acts because they did not want to disobey authority figure, which in this case is Hitler. However, it is possible that violence was part of their human nature. It would be wrong to assume they did everything because of Hitler. They had a choice and they chose violence. This evidence can prove the theory of instinct to kill originating from a common ancestor. So, primates can help understand human behavior. They give a lot of insight into important historical events.  

In the other part of the article, Wayman talks about circumstances leading to violent behaviors. She gives an example of Spider Monkeys. Spider Monkeys tend to subdivide into smaller groups, an example of fission-fusion society. This creates circumstances for violence. Spider Monkeys attack females from other groups and attack them. In Mexico, they raided the area of their neighbors. This type of violence was seen in the countries during the time of world war. Countries attacked other countries. During colonialism, the colonists captured countries and enslaved people, which in this case are female monkeys. Wayman mentions that male chimpanzees used warfare to increase their territory and resources, and to find new mates. During world war, many countries used firearms nuclear weapons and other resources to for their own advantage. They wanted to increase their power, land and resources. They used war and violence as a tool. Studying primates can help us understand why people behaved the way they did in the past. This will give us an opportunity to improve our human nature and natural tendency for violence in the future.  

3 thoughts on “Blog 4

1. Hey Shrishti! Your post was so interesting to read, in fact I think it was the it was the one that drew me in the most. The connection to the Holocaust was something I definitely didn’t think about during this week’s lectures, readings, and videos but now that you have brought it up it makes the way I think about acts of extreme violence, such as what the Nazis made the Jews to suffer under, a lot different based on this biological connection. And even as you went along, you compared the act of war to the spider monkey’s attacks on different groups of monkeys. It’s strange to think that both humans and monkeys fight for the same reasons. Despite all this, it was also nice that you ended with the hope that we can learn to change our ways.

2. Hi Shrishti!

I’m glad you included your thoughts on the Wayman article about chimpanzees. I thought it was an interesting concept that “violence is just part of human nature, stamped in our DNA”. I loved how you connected to the reading in such a different way. When I read the article, I didn’t think of the commonalities between the monkeys turning on each other and historical events that have happened with humans. You really showed great processing skills and connected to the reading in a unique way! For the other part of the article, you connected to the time of world war and colonialism. All of the points you made and the effort you put in to this post to show the commonalities between human and non-human primates was wonderful.

3. Hi there! I found the topic of violence extremely interesting, and it is a point that I didn’t focus on during my research. Now that you connect the themes of violence between both human and chimpanzee communities, it is prevalent that our violent nature could stem from our primate ancestors. Many people could argue that violence is not something innate in all humans, although when bringing up these points history would tell otherwise. We both follow leaders of our pack, and this causes ourselves to act in ways we would not typically.