Week 5 Reflection Blog Post

Non-human primates provide us so much information on human evolution. Not only is their DNA extremely similar to us, they also have similar behavior aspects and thinking similar to us according to Wayman (Wayman, 2012). From observations such as Jane Goodall has done in the past and comparing to human behavior, to DNA extraction to compare to humans, the information provides how human evolution could have occurred and allow us to be close in relation to non-human primates. From observing their social behavior, this can also help us see how our understanding occurs with our relationships between humans.

While we see many physical differences between humans and other primates, we can’t help but see similarities between the skeletons in our organisms that would increase interest to the relation. Therefore, from DNA examination, observations of physical appearances and social behavior can provide a lot of information about human evolution.

The information that surprised me the most is what I have already mentioned, which is that not only we compare ourselves to other primates from similar appearances, but also through social behavior. This is interesting to me and surprises me because I would never would have thought to compare social behavior and also have that be a connection in our DNA. For instance, they say why we have feelings or go to war. According to the lectures and links, it seems to answer it is within our natural human behavior and the fact that non-primates act similarly, helps support how close they are in relation to humans. This definitely does help us make more connections to our life history and understanding how we evolve.

By studying non-human primates, again, we can always learn more about our own biology, behavior, and culture just from this information and my previous discussion on observation of other primates, we can take observations and compare to how we act. We know what we do, how we behave, and our own culture. Seeing how other primates can definitely help us understand why we act they we do since they are our closest relative as a species.

Besides comparing observations to learn more about our behavior specifically, and biology and culture some, we could also always compare DNA analysis between primates and us. From there we would definitely see differences and similarities between the biology. We can possibly see how our traits have allowed us to adapt and survive on the planet. We can also see from analysis what adaptations within other non-human primates to see what traits are specific to other species. For instance, we differentiate an ape and a gorilla, but we know they are very closely related due to DNA and even outward physical appearances. The remaining strategy that I would like to revisit once more that allows us to learn more about humans is actually simple, which is observations that so many sources have mentioned. I believe it takes a lot of time and patience to study these observations and also be extremely knowledgeable about our own history to be able to make appropriate and reasonable conclusions about our biology, behavior, and culture.

Source(s): https://slate.com/technology/2012/10/chimpanzee-wars-can-primate-aggression-teach-us-about-human-aggression.html