Blog Post 4

Blog Post 4

If an outside source, such as aliens or a lost civilization, helped build or built the pyramids I feel there would be more on record than there actually is. There would be hieroglyphics depicting their arrival, possible records of communication and contact, plus documentation of the construction. It simply isn’t possible to take a few weird or unexplained hieroglyphics of rings or unusual head dresses and deduce that to aliens or outside help. To these pseudo-scientists the Atlanteans and alien populations were extremely advanced, so why is wasn’t the Egyptian civilization more advanced? No foreign or unexplained technology has been recorded. The Egyptians were an advanced and intelligent civilization, perfectly capable of constructing the pyramids. The Atlanteans were thought to be a perfect society, but no real evidence exists that suggests where they are or where they went. The real records how no clear indication of extraterrestrials, only pseudo-scientists forming huge claims with no solid evidence.

If Atlanteans caused a diffusion of two greatly different, but advanced civilizations, such as the Mayans and Egyptians, I believe more evidence would be present. There is little to no data on record of Atlantis’ civilization let alone location. Atlantis was described as a ‘perfect society’ so if both civilizations defused from this, why do we want to credit their work to aliens? If they were taught by the people of a perfect civilization, we should give more credit where credit is due but, since we don’t have any clear records of Atlantean civilization its difficult to attribute the advancement the Mayans and Egyptians to Atlantis’ educational system. Even if Atlantis existed at one point, it was for a very short time, too short to have educated and influenced these alternate civilizations before dying out and disappearing. Both civilizations were intelligent enough to have created all they had on their own and, it’s insulting to focus so much on crediting others for their work.

Ultimately, claims like this can’t be upheld. They spread false information about societies we just might not be able to decipher entirely. Claims like these also discredit true researchers and scientists who have reviewed and found real information about these civilizations. Their hard work and dedication to their field of study takes a backseat to an unproven hypothesis? No chance. It is relatively easy to formulate hypotheses such as aliens or outside cultures but, its hard to find hard evidence to make it believable. Let’s not take the easy way out and undermine the resilience and intelligence of these civilizations.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post 4

1. I completely agree with the mention about hieroglyphics. To me, I have always understood it that Egyptians were very documented and “descriptive.” Just look at any of the tombs in the Valley of the Kings. Tutankhamun’s for example has art all of the way through, and in one section, it was full of other forms of art (like figurines). It doesn’t seem likely that they were contacted by another culture for X amount of time, and no one ever thought to write this down (or draw?). These two cultures were so very expressive it seems that at some point there would be some weird allusive thing to some interference. For example, when the Hyksos ruled Egypt there isn’t a whole of writings from this time, but we still know about it, why is there no such thing for when Atlantean’s (or whoever) was inhabiting this space. And wouldn’t whoever created these pyramids want to be acknowledged for their work? There is so much space inside those pyramids and not a single one of them says “hey, I am not an Egyptian and I made these.”

I think it is pretty fair to say that all of us have had the same comments about Atlantis, and the lack thereof as well. I often wonder what it will take for the masses who believe in such things to understand that it does not exist. I should add that, perhaps Atlantis did at one point exist. However, there is no solid evidence that suggests this at all. And maybe Atlantis did exist, but maybe it wasn’t exactly what it is thought to be. Atlantis could be anything, but it could also be nothing.

2. I fully agree with your assessment of both of the “theories” about the pyramids. Their would be records of outside influences places such as in hieroglyphics if aliens or Atlanteans visited ancient Egypt, and there is not. Some pseudo archaeologists do argue that hieroglyphics represent aliens when in fact they have completely explainable origins. As well you mentioned that if Atlanteans, hailing from a super technologically advanced civilization did in fact visit Egypt some of that type of advanced technology would be found there, and it is not. In your post you mention that the concept of believing that both the Mayan and Egyptian civilizations were descended form Atlantean origins discredits those civilizations from coming up with those ideas on their own. I think that that is a really good point and shows one of the greater issues with pseudo archaeology as a practice. The idea of not giving credit where credit is due is really detrimental to understanding these and all civilizations as whole functioning societies and not as some poor representation of a lost but better nation of magic super people. As well the practice of discrediting these civilizations also discredits those who study them and real researchers doing real work. These theories that are in fact not even real theories crop up and cloud over the real evidence making all of the real work on these civilizations frustrating and fell futile. The practice of pseudo archaeology and of believing in hyper diffusion is not only fundamentally incorrect but also detrimental to the fields of archaeology and anthropology.