- Week 2 Intro Video [watch]
Week 4 Topics:
- The Earliest Dynasties
- Abydos and the Early Dynastic Royal Tombs
- The Old Kingdom
- Stability and Formal Style in the Early Old Kingdom
- The Age of Pyramids
Week 4 Lecture Videos
- The First Pharaohs? [watch] [download]
- The Archaic: Political Expansion [watch] [download]
- The Old Kingdom [watch] [download]
- The Pyramid Age [watch] [download]
- Social Decline in the Old Kingdom [watch] [download]
- Heit el-Ghurab: Old Kingdom Archaeological Case Study [watch] [download]
- The First Intermediate Period [watch] [download]
Week 4 Readings
- An Introduction to the Archaeology of Ancient Egypt, Chapter 5: The Rise of Complex Society and Early Civilization; pp 108-120
- An Introduction to the Archaeology of Ancient Egypt, Chapter 6: The Old Kingdom and First Intermediate Period; pp 122-162
- Lehner, Mark (2002). The Pyramid Age Settlement of the Southern Mount at Giza. Journal of the American Research Center in Egypt 39, pp. 27-74; Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40001149 (accessible though MSU libraries e-resources services)
Week 4 Assignments
- Blog #4 Due (post Due 7/28 by 5pm, response due 7/31 by 5pm)
- Archaeological Site Report Due (7/25 by 5pm)
- Research Article Proposal Due (7/29 by 5pm)
I’ve ripped the lecture mp3s and slides for week 04 (43 MB).
I see that no one has hanging indents on their wiki. I couldn’t get them to work. Its driving me crazy. Any ideas?
There’s no native grammer for a hanging indent. The template I tried adding didn’t take, so you’ll have to use html. Hopefully this’ll come out alright in a comment. This works as pasted in the wiki.
<div style=”margin-left:2em; text-indent:-2em”>
<p>INSERT PARAGRAPH HERE</p>
PS: Since that worked for me, if anyone wants to demo html in these comments, replace each < with < and > with >
Grr. You’ll probably get goofy double quotes when you copy that above. I’ll try again making them comment-friendly with "
<div style="margin-left:2em; text-indent:-2em">
<p>INSERT PARAGRAPH 1 HERE</p>
<p>INSERT PARAGRAPH 2 HERE</p>
<p>INSERT PARAGRAPH 3 HERE</p>
You can enclose all your citations within one div this way.
* er I made quotes comment-friendly with "