For the (Archaeological) Record

In order for the hypothesis that aliens provided humans with the idea to build the pyramids to be true, there would have to be undeniable evidence to support it. Just like any other hypothesis, it can only be true if it is tested and proven to be true. Otherwise it jumps from hypothesis to theory, and as we know, a theory is the best possible explanation with the given evidence. A truth is completely undeniable.

For me personally to believe aliens were responsible for the pyramids, I would need a spaceship to come down and for a gaggle of little green men to confess in detail. However, archaeologically speaking, in order for the hypothesis that aliens built the pyramids to work, there would need to be heaps of proof in the record. I’m no expert but I’d think there would be some form of documentation of these aliens teaching humans the way to build the pyramids. If there was real tangible description of little green men coming down from the sky to show humans how to build the pyramids, that would certainly make me question things as they are now.

I think more abstractly, the development of the pyramids would look much different. We can see in the record now that the first pyramids started small and looked much different. There were mistakes, like the bent pyramid of Snefru, that show building the pyramids was trial and error, that people learned from their mistakes and continued to engineer based on what they learned to do better. If some magical alien architect with a keen eye for sandstone and geometry came down from the stars to give its blueprints to the human race and help them make its vision a reality, then I don’t think we would see the progression over time of the development of the pyramids. The record in the case of alien intervention would look a lot more like: no pyramids or similar architecture whatsoever then BAM a perfectly constructed pyramid out of nowhere covered in hieroglyphs about aliens!

In a similar vein, the idea that Atlantis was some kind of super-culture that all other cultures were born from is as equally missing from the historical record. In order for this hyperdiffusionist idea to be true, I would think there would be evidence of Atlantis having existed at all. Assuming, however, that Atlanteans all disappeared and that it makes sense, the evidence that cultures were birthed from this utopian womb would have to be supported in the archaeological record. Instead, the record shows that civilizations like the Egyptians and the Mayans were built from the ground up on the foundations of human ingenuity.

If, and it’s a big if, these cultures came from Atlantis why would they not simply start off as advanced as Atlantis was? This has never made sense to me about this argument. If Atlanteans had flying cars and steam engines and nuclear bombs, why would the cultures born from them be less advanced? The historical record would have to show that somehow this super, more advanced than humans have ever been, culture spread out across the world while losing all knowledge of these impossibly advanced ideas.

I’m not saying the civilizations supposedly coming from Atlantis were not advanced, they clearly were, I’m only suggesting that reasonably, if these cultures came from the Atlantean culture, they would have record of Atlantis’ supposed technology. If all knowledge was lost from Atlantis then everyone in Atlantis had to die and if they did, how did other cultures come from that? I think in order for there to be a hypothesis that Atlantis is a “mother-culture” there first has to be an Atlantis in the archaeological record at all.

Source: https://www.livescience.com/32616-how-were-the-egyptian-pyramids-built-.html

3 thoughts on “For the (Archaeological) Record

1. Hi Cait! I really love your title, it’s so catchy! I really agree with everything you say in your post. I think you bring up really good points, especially the progression of pyramids over time and how we have evidence of the Egyptians slowly perfecting their process of creating the pyramids that we see today. I also really like your use of examples of this process with the Bent Pyramid of Snefru and all the other little pyramids scattered around the Giza Plateau. I really like that you gave what the archaeological record would look like if aliens had been responsible for the construction of the pyramids in such a concise way, “BAM” really sums it up. I love just wrecking pseudoarchaeologists with the solid, “Atlantis having existed at all” perfect way to share that Atlantis was just a hypothetical and metaphorical civilization made up by Plato to talk of governing systems. I hadn’t thought about the point that the Maya and Egyptians would have been just as advanced if they had diffused from Atlantis as Atlantis had supposedly been. That is a really interesting point that really takes down the hyperdiffusionist idea that these two unique and amazing cultures came from one incredibly advanced – and now lost – culture. You have made some incredible points that really deconstruct the entire argument for these hypotheses. I really enjoyed reading your post and seeing these topics from your point of view! Reading your post has given me new ideas to dissuade these hypotheses!

2. Hi Cait,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. Firstly, I liked that you made your intro about what makes a hypothesis a hypothesis and what differentiates an experimental hypothesis from theory, in that a hypothesis must possess the ability to be tested, as in an experiment. I thought the incorporation of that to begin with was a good into. I also liked that you were very specific in your examples of how the pyramids evolved, such as addressing the bent pyramid of Snerfu, yet still used language that was interesting to read and contained humor. I like that you proved all of the points that you initially stated and your opinions on the topic were very well-stated. Great discussion post overall.

3. I also thoroughly enjoyed reading your response about the Atlantean ideal. You stated the fact that the civilizations that supposedly hyper-diffused from the Atlanteans were a regression of what Atlantis “was” and what Atlanteans “were”. This statement is the most important fact in the entire argument regarding the topic about Atlantis and the civilizations that supposedly came from this advanced civilization. All in all, it doesn’t make sense that such an advanced civilization would create such civilizations after them that were so far behind in what they supposedly were. If Atlanteans were so advanced and technologically ahead of their time, the civilizations that came directly from the association of them would have been equally as advanced, if not more advanced, having come after the Atlanteans. This simply does not make sense evolutionary-wise and you did a great job of pointing that out.