Week 2 – Blog Post

Part 1: As America is a largely diverse nation that includes many ethnicities and religions, the typical rituals of transition associated with America are ones that are ceremonial and most likely secular. One of the most apparent transitions is graduating high school. There is a large ceremony that includes all of the graduating seniors and there may even be a graduation party afterwards. This transition expresses a stage in which a teenager becomes an adult. It is also around the time where the graduating individual turns 18, which is legally considered an adult in the United States. It is a celebratory ritual of transition that occurs in America when individuals graduate high school that marks the start to adulthood. There are other transitions in an American’s life like turning 16 and getting their driver’s license. Obtaining a license marks the greater freedom that most associate with getting a car and learning how to drive.

Part 2: I have gone through a few rituals of transition. One of the most memorable being my First Holy Communion. To those who aren’t familiar, it is a religious event for Catholics usually around the age of 7, 8, or 9 to receive the “bread” of Jesus for the first time. In a Catholic’s life this event is to signify that we become more united with our faith and that we can go through confession and be forgiven. It is usually done at an age where a child can reason. In days leading up to the event, I was anxious and excited to become more committed to my faith and carry bigger responsibility as a Catholic. I was also a little nervous to have the post-church party made all about me (and my sister). My sister and I wore very formal white dresses, which is the usual look that girls wear to their communion signifying the importance of this rite of passage event and sacrament that Catholics follow. At the mass, my immediate and extended family were sitting in the pews excitedly waiting for our turn to receive the bread. I felt somewhat relieved after my turn as it had gone smoothly. After church, we headed to the location for our party. Family members gave gifts and some of them even put the jewelry they bought on us, which is a little tradition that happens at my family’s parties. Family members usually gave gifts at communions to commemorate the transition from becoming simply a member of the church to an active participant. Looking back on the event, I was glad it had happened. I still remember most of it even though the celebration was over 10 years ago. I am glad that I made the decision to take my First Holy Communion because it has helped me grow as a Catholic and as a person that strives to emulate the values and good I would like to see in others.

Part 3: The college experience is most definitely about being new to adulthood and figuring out who you are. You can experience new things with people who are not only from your hometown. The belonging-liminality-belonging concept resonates with my college experience. According to this concept, you belong to something, are ambiguous at a point, then you return to belonging. I think for most college students they are trying to find, try, and enjoy new obscurities in college where they have virtually no parental supervision. Most times, they start and end back at the same community, but may experience a different outlook on their belonging from before as they are are reintegrated with a broader and more knowledgeable aspect. College holds different opportunities, so we as young adults are expected to try out a little bit of everything, which can explain the idea of liminality, or being in a stage where you’re in a “threshold” (like college) between the original community and what the community is after you experience liminality. This may bring feelings of lack of belonging, but at the same time, promotes experiencing a metamorphosis into who you want to be. During or before college, we are generally told a few things or words of advice by others. There is at least some difference in the messages that women and men receive on how they should or can behave while in college. College is known for the partying ways like socializing with alcohol. This is the typical way that individuals look at college. Though in society, women are told to watch themselves at parties and be aware, while men are less likely to be told or experience instances like having their drinks being manipulated. Men are more enabled to be less responsible at parties, while women are more target for advice like “watch your drink.” I’ve been told numerous times by adults to be safe and always be cautious. My cousin who is a male and the same age as me has never been told anything short of “have fun.” It shows that there is a divide when it comes to the expectations and messages that are given to women in college compared to men in college.