Part I: I grew up as Mexican American therefore I grew up living two different cultures at the same time. Ritual play a big part in both the American and Mexican culture. Different factors play a role in different rituals, such as economic statues, culture, religion, location, etc. In the American culture holidays, graduations, American Dream, Presidential elections are rituals seen within the US culture. However, a main ritual I think is important in my Mexican culture would be quinceanera. Quinceanera is a celebration of a girl’s 15th birthday celebrating her transition from a girl to adulthood. A quinceanera are very common and traditional in the Mexican culture. A Quinceanera is a huge celebration taking months of preparation typically including a religious mass followed by a party. When I turned 15th I had the opportunity to have a quinceanera celebration, similar to a sweet sixteen event. I grew up in a very divers Hispanic/Latino community within Grand Rapids so quinceanera were common throughout the year. However, I had some American friends that were not 100% aware of what a quinceanera was. A quinceanera takes month of preparation and it’s a very expensive event. Months before the day you have to select location, a traditional quinceanera dress, invitations, practice dance performance, etc. On the day of your Quinceanera you start with an early mass, followed by a reception (which you get to eat traditional Mexican dishes) than followed by music and dancing. A main dancing is the father and daughter dance when the father begins by removing his daughter shoes and replacing them with heels, signification her becoming a woman. The birthday girl also receives her last doll, meaning the end of her childhood stage. I was fortune and blessed to have been able to celebrate my 15th birthday in a quinceanera style filled with traditional Mexican culture.

Part II:
A ritual of transition I have gone through myself was college. I attend Michigan State University and I had to leave home to attend college. College is a common ritual in the American culture. I remember being nervous the night before move-in day but also feeling excited because I was going to start a new stage in life. Attending college is a rite passage to adulthood and independence. In the beginning I was nervous and scare because I grew up in a very controlling/protective/traditional Hispanic household, where I had to ask my parent for permission regardless my age, even when I go back home till this day. So I was excited I was going to have more freedom to make my own decisions. In college I grew to be more independent and not rely too much on my parents for the smallest inconveniences or problem I have had. I learned to make my own decisions, either good or bad, and how to become an adult and take full responsibility for my actions. During this transition I have learned to find myself. I learn more about myself, about self-love, my passion, hobbies, my character, my flaws, etc. At this moment I love the transition of college I have gone through because it helped me become ME.

Part III:
The concept of belonging-liminality-belonging can definitely be applied to my college experience at Michigan State University. I have lived my whole life before college under my parent roof following their rules. When I went off to MSU I was my own person, responsible for my own actions. I was capable now of making my own rules and own decisions. I think that belonging-liminality-belonging is something everyone has/will experience in their life. Like its true when people say that people are temporary and people change. Because I come back home from college, my high school friends became distant, harder to connect/catch-up with people that have taken different paths. Because people change and experience different journeys. College gives implicated messages and explicated messages on how men and women should behave based on gender. An implicit message is which classes a person should take bases on gender. I took and Women and Gender class this past spring semester and the classroom was only females, not a single man was taking a class on feminist studies. I asked a male friend is her would ever take a feminist class and he said no because only girls take that class to take bad about men, stereotype. An explicated message at MSU would be during the night life. They always tell girls to be careful, watch what you wear, who you with, travel in groups. While guys are simply told to have fun.

3 thoughts on “Week 2 Blog Post

1. I think it’s awesome that you were able to share with us the traditional aspect of the Mexican/American culture. I went to high school where a large portion of the population was Mexican/American but never understood all the rituals and traditions that went on within a quinceanera, so thank you for sharing that! I definitely agree with your thoughts on belonging-liminality-belonging. I think college pushes people into the liminality stage, forcing us to be on our own. I too experience the awkwardness of coming home and being treated like a kid again. It can be confusing because for the majority of the year we are out on our own being forced to be adults and take care of ourselves and then for the summer we live under our parents roof again. I think it can kind of blur the lines of liminality a little. I am not surprised about your experience taking another Women and Gender class here. I think when it comes to people who are extremists, that if they just had an understanding of the opposite gender maybe there would be less conflict between the groups. Your example explicated messages that MSU sends out, is really just an example of MSU promoting rape culture. Which seems backwards from what they are trying to do, but it’s clear that their efforts are not working. By sending students to mandatory meetings about rape once a year, and how to “prevent” it, isn’t changing the culture. It’s still an act of victim blaming. In order to change the culture we need to change the values of the students, not give women ways to “prevent” it; because then the responsibility still falls on them.

2. Hello!

I really was intrigued by reading your post. I love that you shared such an important of your Mexican culture. Being of European descent, we do not have many traditions that are non-religious. So, I really enjoyed being able to learn about such a meaningful event from your culture in your post. I had a very similar experience with college. It was such an eye-opening experience going away to school. I also have many rules at home and I remember the first night I hung out with my friends and how good it felt to not have to worry to come home at a certain time. I definitely agree with your views on the implicit and explicit messages we send based upon gender. It’s really interesting to hear about your experience in women’s gender studies class. I also agree about what you said about the messages sent to women about going out.

3. Hi Alexandria! I enjoyed reading your post and It reminded me a lot of my best friend who is Mexican American as well. My best friend teaches me about the Mexican culture, which I love learning about. In America, we have a similar ritual to the Quinceanera, called Sweet 16. Instead of celebrating 15 years of life we celebrate 16 years of life transitioning into young adulthood. However, it’s not as common as it used to be in the early 2000s. I like Quinceanera’s better than Sweet 16 because of how family oriented the Quinceaneras are. When I attended my friend’s Quinceanera all of her family was there and they took it very seriously. Nowadays, I don’t see birthdays being family oriented as much. I love how my friend’s family made sure to make everyone feel included even if they weren’t Mexican.

Would you consider Dia De Los Muertos a ritual as well? Also, is that something your family celebrates and honor? (Dia De Los Muertos). Another question I have is do you feel like you’re obligated to celebrate every American holiday if it doesn’t align with your cultural beliefs?

I can relate to your college experience as well! I lived with my grandparents who always sheltered me and once I got to college I was able to gain the freedom that I didn’t have before. I’m still in the process of trying to learn more about myself (I’m struggling with this), so if you have any suggestions about how to do so I would love to hear about them!