Week 7 Activity Post

Before starting this class I really thought I was not going to enjoy it because I initially believed it was based solely on the biomedical system. As a student studying nothing really related to the medical system, I thought it would be boring. However, I was soon proved wrong after my first week of this course. Although we did learn about the biomedical system, we learned it in more interesting ways. This being because we could pick our topic based on our country and the assignments we were assigned were really interesting. This class was much different than a past online course I had taken because I actually learned a lot rather than learning barely anything, as I did in that course. I think my favorite topic during this course was during last week when we focused on cultural traditions. Before reading up on foot binding or genital circumcision, I was really against it and kept wondering why a culture would put women through these practices. However, I soon learned that these are similar to some of our traditions that may be criticized by there cultures as we do them. Although, I still may not agree 100% with these practices, I do have a better understanding. This goes for all of the topics we have discussed throughout this course as well. In all I think this course opened my interest into the medical system regarding other cultures and how other cultures are different from our own in other aspects, like traditions for example. I really enjoyed your course a lot and the only thing I did not enjoy very much was the two essays a week because I also working full time and between these two I was very busy, but I also understand why we had to. Overall, I will be looking to take other anthropology classes in the future!