Introductory Post

I am Rashemia Powell. I am now a senior (hooray!!) majoring in mathematics with a minor in bioethics. Growing up I always wanted to be a doctor, but after volunteering at Sparrow and McLaren I realized my love actually lies within healthcare management. Healthcare management basically deals with daily operations such as budgeting, patient care, organizational issues and general business concerns. I gain experience being a level 4 supervisor on campus and at my internship at MiHIN. My task range from payroll, hiring, training, and scheduling and I absolutely love it. My plan is to continue my studies at UM Public Health or MSU, I bleed green so I would love to stay in Lansing. My hobbies and interests are helping at-risk youth and disadvantage or oppressed communities. I’ve volunteered a ton in high school and continue to do so during my undergrad. I am interested in this class because I am an advocate for women’s equality. When I debate I want to use facts rather than emotion and opinions. I think this class would achieve this goal. I am a huge ally for the LBGQT+ community and can spit out facts, but I think being a woman I should also be able to do the same things. I know only the surface level when it comes to women and health, but I would love to broader my horizon.

One thought on “Introductory Post

1. Hi Reshemia! Welcome to the class, and kudos to you for doing all that volunteer work. That takes a lot of time and emotional labor, so I admire you for doing that. This class will definitely help you in your healthcare management career, and may actually be used to help women in hospitals/offices/clinics. We often forget how much power the people behind the scenes have. At the very least it will help you learn more about yourself and other women in the world so you can be a better ally.