Week 5 Activity Post

For my final paper, I will be utilizing the Feminist theory to evaluate anemia and malnutrition as it relates to Indian women.  Based on lecture, the feminist theory approaches the situation by looking at how gender impacts the outcome, and my research shows gender roles are still very prevalent in Indian culture (Feminist Theory).  Feminist movements have played a major part across the world educating women to overcome the inequalities they face.  As we look at history, we can see three distinct waves of feminist which gives us three different approaches to the feminist theory.  The first wave began in 1850 and was commonly known for its progress in women studies because during this time there was very little data on women, and the data they had was communicated by men.  The next wave started around the 1920’s, and the main purpose was to separate the concept of gender and sex, which up to this point had been used synonymously.  During this time, scholars determined that cultures define gender differently, which leads to broad assumptions. Currently, we are in the third Feminist wave where scholars are focused on examining the differences on race, age, and political status between women, instead of focusing on the differences between men and women.  This wave started because many people criticized the theory since it only examined white, middle class, so this new wave began to show all the inequality’s minority women face (Dominguez, 2017).  According to lecture, feminist theorists view situations by looking at how gender impacts a situation especially when it comes to healthcare.  Gender is a critical factor in the number of Indians with anemia because 60% of Indian women are dealing with anemia (Chatterjee).  In conclusion, the Feminist theory exists to discuss how gender impacts situations.

Based on my research, the Feminist theory is the best approach to examine anemia and malnutrition in Indian women for a variety of reasons.  First, by using a Feminist approach, I will examine how gender roles affect the women who have anemia.  Indian women typically provide support in the farm and house, which are usually dirtier work spaces compared to their male counterparts.  Due to these harmful work environments, women tend to develop health issues more rapidly including anemia.  Another aspect of a female’s gender role can be seen when a woman’s duty is to support her family, which means she might have to give up her daily food intake to her children or spouse.   However, on the other side, I will be examining the emotional abuse some Indian men give towards their spouses by denying them food.  The typical gender roles are still very common among Indians, and it leads to many health complications for women.  Also, I will be using the Feminist theory to analyze the treatment for Indian women with anemia and malnutrition.  Many Indian women don’t have the time or approval to attend medical appointments because they’re needed at home.  Based on the third wave of the Feminist theory and this week’s lecture on intersectionality, I’m going to look at how age affects the treatment for anemia.  I found some research on the Indian government providing teenage girls will millet supplements to counteract the lack of nutrients in their diets.  Overall, I think the Feminist theory is the best approach to examine my health issue because anemia and malnutrition in Indian women are typically caused by different gender behaviors.

Chatterjee, Meera. “Indian Women, Health, and Productivity.” Google Books, books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=CmidPazCxZsC&oi=fnd&pg=PR1&dq=indian women malnutrition&ots=A6nCC6Jfjy&sig=YVwQ-34GlmqzXlwJQHOe5wzK6Cw#v=onepage&q=indian women malnutrition&f=false.

Dominguez, Johnna, et al. “Feminist Anthropology.” Anthropology, 24 Apr. 2017, anthropology.ua.edu/theory/feminist-anthropology/.

Feminist Theory. [Powerpoint slides]. Retrieved from http://anthropology.msu.edu/anp270-us19/lecture-videos/feminist-theory/

One thought on “Week 5 Activity Post

1. Hey Sydney! I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I thought the way you incorporated the Feminist theory and how it related to anemia and malnutrition for Indian women was very well done. It was really easy to read, and I definitely think you chose the right theory for your topic! I found it really interesting that there were 3 different waves of feminist issues. It is seriously so crazy to me to compare what life is like for women in American vs women in other parts of the world. And on top of that add in health issues and the solutions. It makes me sad seeing that women in other countries do that type of work when it puts them at a higher risk of exposure to diseases, different health issues, and not to mention that they follow the rules that society has put in place for women to basically be a house maid while the men work. It is unfortunate that after all they do for their household that they aren’t able to get the medical attention that they need. It is great that the government is providing supplements to teenage girls that are anemic, but what about the older generation of women that have been anemic far longer than these young teens?