Week 1 Activity Post

For the rest of the semester, I will be researching India because my best friend is Indian, and I would love to know more about the culture and their medical techniques.  After speaking with her grandma and reading the article for this week, my interest regarding the practice of medicine in India sparked. India is the second largest country in the world with a population of 1.353 billion as of 2018.  There has been a massive increase in the population since 1960 when there was roughly 450,500,000 people.  The economy followed the increase in population with a GDP of 2.762 trillion US dollars in 2018 where it was only 37.03 billion US dollars (World Bank).  However, with the large economy comes large household wealth disparities with 1% of the population owning 73% of the country’s wealth, which is sustainably higher than the global figure of 50%.  Sadly, 60% of the lowest paid workers in the labor force are women.  All across Asia women earn between 70% and 90% of the wage men make while completing the same jobs.  The gender wage gap in India isn’t as high as the Asian wage gap, but there is still a 30% difference in wages between men and women.  Women typically work in agriculture but rarely own the land (Times of India).  However, on the positive side, India has had an increase of 27.8% in urbanization.  Many of the regions with a higher per capita have more jobs in agriculture and industrial.  However, the poorer regions are negatively impacted with high unemployment, overused land, and overcrowding (Regional Disparities in India).  While the GDP has been growing over the years, there are still many children that don’t have access to an education, job opportunities, or training (World Education News and Reviews).  Even though this was a smaller research project, I still learned many things about India.

https://data.worldbank.org/country/india

Education in India

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/indias-rising-income-inequality-richest-1-own-58-of-total-wealth/articleshow/56586277.cms