Activity Post – Week 7

I have learned so much from taking this class. Each week’s topic had covered different perspectives from around the world on topics like birth and death, trauma, intersectionality, feminine body practices, etc. Reading fellow classmates’ responses and creating my own had shown how diverse we are in our own rights. I have gotten to know more about my classmates and their experiences through their posts.

I really enjoyed learning every topic in this class. I feel like I have expanded my knowledge from others’ experiences. A particular week that was my favorite was week 3. The readings and films had expanded my knowledge on a topic that I was already interested in, which is birth. In looking at the stark contrast between a generation of birth between my grandma and mother, I can see how birthing practices have changed. Different cultures, as well, have different birthing practices and rituals before and after labor, which was interesting to see with the week 3 readings of the Netherlands, Vietnam, and of the Inuit people. In having these three countries talk about the same topic (birth), but have so many different characteristics to it was very informing. In learning birthing practices from my chosen country, Guatemala, it expanded my knowledge, especially on some Guatemalans’ decision to stick to traditional practices. Though improving, the concept of maternal mortality is high, especially in developing nations like Guatemala. As a friend of a Guatemalan immigrant who moved to the United States, I was very curious about the tactics and statistics regarding the concept of maternal mortality in that particular country. In taking this class, I was allowed to explore the knowledge of women’s health occurring in areas around the world. I found the class engaging and overall an eye-opening experience with not much feedback for improvement.

One thought on “Activity Post – Week 7

1. That is fantastic! I am glad that you enjoyed this course so much! I hope you get the chance to take more anthropology courses late on and that you find them all impactful.